Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Own

A friend once asked me, if I was so desperate for an electric guitar, would I trade my existing acoustic in for an electric? Hell no.

Meet Lindele. Lin-the-what?. Lindele, Elvish for music. She's my my second acoustic guitar, the first being an old nylon stringed guitar with a ply wood top my uncle gave me. I affectionately called it Racfea, Elvish for broken soul.

Unfortunately I can't find a picture of it here but I have one uploaded on my Facebook page. If you could see the picture of that guitar you would know why I called it Racfea. It is about 20 years old, those of you guitar experts will know what happens to a plywood top after over 20 year without unstringing. Tension pulled the bridge away along with the top, my uncle used a combination of super glue and tape to put it back together, not the greatest thing to play but she served me well for about a month and was surprisingly still intact. She required tuning every time I played her so I got into the habit of playing an out of tune guitar, which gave a different feel to precisely tuned guitars. Call it unpredictability, it was fun. Even now I would intentionally "untune" my guitar slightly to achieve that "unusual" tone, part and parcel of experimenting.

Lindele, my first truly intimate experience with my music. I got her at Carlingford Music Centre for $580 including an Ashton hard case and strap plus complimentary picks. I later got an Ashton stand for $26 at the same place. Lindele is a Cort MR-100 with solid cedar top, mahogany sides, back and neck, rosewood fretboard, and Fishman pickups. Shes not very bright sounding and leans more toward the mellow sounding acoustics, great for blues. She has a single cutaway which allows me to play with the higher registers and a big body for big sound. Her neck is one of the most comfortable necks I have played. Despite being crafted in China, the quality of this instrument is surprisingly good and I compliment Cort on this excellent job, definitely more than worth its price.

It has been approximately a year and five months of guitar playing now, I have extensively used some of my friend's guitars while I was trying to get one for myself and will never forget how generous he was. He also thought me the basics and the fundamentals of guitar playing. Thank you Bobby! I will also not forget Kelvin who launched me further along my journey. As for my guitars, they are the only way I was able to reach where I am today.

you only live once,
Artking

No comments:

Post a Comment