Thursday, February 18, 2010

In My Head

Have you ever heard a tune, and it just sticks in your head for the rest of the day?
It happens a lot to me. A LOT. Anything from a catchy song to the ring of my alarm clock (its rare but does happen, it normally is a catchy song). I can't help but think if I'm borderline Schizophrenic.

Sometimes, I have these moments of inspiration, I hear a song (or a part of it) in my head, or a tune, or come up with a lyric. As soon as i get to my guitar its gone... how depressing. I have heard beautiful melodies just as I'm drifting of to dreamland or come up with something meaningful I could add to my drafts in the shower and experience the momentary euphoria that is oh so hard to find; a melody that speaks from my soul. I once heard a full song play while I was sleeping and I swear it was not of this earth, not anything anyone has come up with yet. When i woke the next day, all I could remember the feeling of listening to that song - beyond euphoric. In fact that's all I remember anytime I forget the music i came up with, the emotion it created, or rather, the emotion that created it.

It isn't easy to come by these experiences. Maybe I should just savor those moments as they come? The more I pursue them the more I think its futile.

However all is not lost, I have managed to gather a tiny collection of melodies and portions of lyrics (those that I manage to recall or get to my guitar, pen and paper in time). I am currently experimenting with it and hope to accomplish something meaningful in my musical life.

you only live once,
Artking

2 comments:

  1. There is something to be said about the subconscious. It was created as a haven for creativity and innovation. For all it's gifts, the human brain can only produce; not store. A jug that refills forever is impractical if cups did not exist. That's why the subconscious is like the manager behind the star. Not a celebrated part of the human mind, but well and truly, an important part. Ponder and imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean, you coined it! You more or less said what I would say, and you phrased it in you own unique way. Simply delightful.

    ReplyDelete