Sunday, June 13, 2010

Materialism

Over these few years, my musical taste has been through an incredible journey of both highs and lows. My taste in guitars has also evolved since then. Here is a list of guitars in my guitars wish-list as of 6.00 p.m., June 13th, 2010. (it is in order of most desired to least desired, from top to bottom)

Burny (Super Grade) Les Paul - almost a must in my collection, and I may be able to get one at the end of this year, from a friend of mine. Made in Japan with hand wound VH-1 pickups (only those made from 1975 - 1977), these are one of the best replicas of the original Gibson PAFs to date. The VH-1s are only available on the neck pickup of my friends guitar however, his bridge pickup is a Gibson 490, even better. The Gibson 490 is featured on Jimmy Pages Gibson EDS-1275 double neck guitar which he used to play Stairway to Heaven live, as well as several other Gibson guitars.

Gibson EDS-1275

Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (Left-Handed) - call me a wannabe, I am one. Yes I play right handed, although I'm left handed, but I want a left handed Stratocaster so that I can play it like Jimi Hendrix did. Not for show if that's what you think i'm trying to do, for sound. The slanted bridge pickup on the Stratocaster was originally designed to highlight the highs of the high E string and make the lows on the low E sound mellow. This is because the closer your pickup is to the bridge, the more of the treble you will pickup (I call it twangy-ness, because that's what it is). When Jimi Hendrix played his Stratocaster the other way round (because there were next to none left handed Stratocasters available during the time) he accidentally created this new sound when his strings were restrung. The low E string, because bright sounding and the high E because mellow, thus the famous Hendrix sound. So although I play right handed guitar (despite being a left handed person), I would love to get a Stratocaster and play it just like the master did, inverted. Also, I have this bias toward maple fretboards, the warmness of the rosewood versions do not suit stratocaster sounds very well, although there are exceptions where it works very well indeed.

Fender Left-handed Stratocaster


Duesenberg Starplayer TV - a semi-hollow electric guitar made by the Duesenberg company which oddly enough used to make cars. This guitar has a P90 on the neck and a vintage humbucker on the bridge. The floating tremelo is a favorite of many artists including Nigel Hendroff of Hillsong. It looks like a Gibson, plays like a Fender, and sounds like a Grestch, perfect combination.

Duesenberg Starplayer TV


Epiphone Les Paul Custom - nothing too fancy about this guitar, however, it is a relatively cheap quality instrument I intend to upgrade. If I could, I would distress the finish, change the neck pickup to a p90 and put a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover at the bridge.

Gibson SG Standard - two humbuckers, 22 frets, one great body. That's all I need to say about this.

Ibanez JEM 7V - Steve Vai's signature guitar, 24 frets, tone that cries goodness, food for my progressive rock soul.

Ibanez JEM 7V


Danelectro 59' Original - cheap plywood body, two telecaster pickups, ideal for the beginner or the professional. I will not need a fancy Fender for a telecaster sound, this will do just fine.

Eastwood Airline 59' Custom 3P - Any good fan of The White Stripes would be craving for one of these Eastwood guitars. The model that Jack White uses (or used) is a 2P, slightly different, but in the spirit of 'originality', why not?

Fender Road Worn Mexican Stratocaster - maple fretboard please! and this time I will play it right the way round. A friend of mine gave this guitar a really good review and I'm hoping to get my hands on one. I have tried a Mexican Standard Stratocaster which is miles cheaper than the normal American ones, but you get what you pay for. The workmanship on that guitar is acceptable, and the sound is reasonable, but not as full or vibrant as the American version.

Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special - Super Stratocaster type guitar, used by Lincoln Brewster when he was in the Steve Morse Band. I plan to replace all the pickups to create a Yngwie Malmsteem/ Lincoln Brewster hybrid. The single coils will be replaced by Seymour Duncan STK-S10 YJM Fury pickups, and the humbucker at the bridge will be a P90.


Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special


you only live once,
Artking.




No comments:

Post a Comment